What do you have five or six of, rarely think about and absolutely can’t function if they’re messed up?
The windows in your car!
Often taken for granted, our car windows help us to connect with the world around us as we drive and are therefore vitally important to our safety. No matter how carefully you navigate the Lithia Springs landscape, a stray pebble is bound to strike your windshield at some point. If it happens to you, don’t panic, but do ask yourself this: “Is my cracked windshield dangerous?” If you’re uncertain of your ability to answer that question, let’s go over the dos and don’ts of repairing a cracked windshield in Atlanta.
Absolutely Make Sure That You..
- Measure the crack or chip. If the crack is less than 12 inches long, or if the chip is smaller than a quarter, the damage can typically be repaired without having to replace your windshield.
- Assess your vision. If you’re going to drive your car before you repair the windshield, make sure the crack or chip doesn’t interfere with your view.
- Protect against dirt. Dirt that gets into a crack or chip can make it more difficult to repair. Placing a small piece of clear tape over the point of impact can help, but make sure that the tape doesn’t block your vision when you’re driving.
- Stay away from that hot Georgia sun. Park inside a garage or in a shady area. Letting heat build up in your car can weaken the windshield even further and cause the crack to grow.
- Contact the experts at Thornton Road Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram for windshield repair or windshield replacement in Lithia Springs.
Absolutely Do Not…
- Ignore the problem. Small cracks and rock-chip “coins” can spread if not repaired. Large fractures really affect your visibility and may even result in a traffic violation in Georgia for having a cracked windshield.
- Drive the car if a crack is longer than 12 inches or if a chip is larger than a quarter. The stability of your windshield has likely been altered.
- Blast your air conditioning or use your defroster on high. Extremes in temperature are never a good thing for a cracked or damaged windshield. If you must defrost your windows, warm the car up gradually by using the heater.
- Wash your vehicle. Water in the damaged area can cause your windshield to crack further.
- Repair windshield cracks longer than 12 inches or chips larger than a quarter. Have your entire windshield replaced in Lithia Springs at Thornton Road Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram instead.
- Jolt your car or windows. Try to avoid slamming doors with the windows all the way up. Creating extra pressure inside the vehicle in this way can cause the crack to spread.
And whatever you do, do not go to a general mechanic for windshield repair or replacement.
Use a specialist like the Atlanta auto glass repair experts at Thornton Road Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram. It can be easy to forget about repairing your cracked windshield with everything that you have going on but, even if you’re not sure that it needs to be fixed, don’t play around with your auto safety. Follow these simple tips and contact the auto glass service center in Lithia Springs at Thornton Road Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram ASAP!