Here at Thornton Road Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram we stand behind the dependability of our vehicles, but sometimes you go out to start your car and…nothing. Maybe you left the lights on overnight, or one of the doors open so the interior light stayed on, or maybe…an endless list of possibilities. Whether you drive a Charger, Jeep Wrangler, Ram 1500, or Chrysler 300, one thing you can always do is get a friend to come give you a quick jumpstart and you’ll be on your way! We’ve written a quick how-to to help you jump your car quickly and safely.
First: make sure your battery isn’t leaking or corroded. If it is, DO NOT attempt to jumpstart your vehicle! Call a pro and get it towed. Also, make sure none of the electronics in the vehicle are on – remove the keys, and get prepared.
1. Have your friend park next to your car (but not touching). Make sure both are in neutral, and that the jumper leads can easily reach.
2. Connect the first end of the RED positive lead to the positive terminal on the working battery. Do the same for the other end of the lead for the flat battery.
3. Connect the BLACK negative lead to the negative terminal on the working battery. Attach the other end to a metal point in the engine bay, such as a bolt or bracket, away from the dead battery. Some cars have negative jump-starting poles – check your handbook to see if yours does.
4. Make sure that the leads are away from moving parts then start the engine of the working car.
5. After about a minute, try starting the car with the dead battery. If it doesn’t work, leave it a little longer, but switch off the engine if the leads get hot.
6. Once you have your car running, leave the engine on for a couple of minutes to charge the battery.
7. Remove the jump leads in reverse to the way you attached them. Make sure they don’t touch each other or any metal surfaces. You should then drive for at least 30 minutes or leave the engine running.
8. If the engine doesn’t start, there’s a bigger issue!
You can bring your non-starting vehicle in to us here at Thornton Road CDJR, and our awesome service team will get your Charger, Jeep Wrangler, Ram 1500, or Chrysler 300, back in running condition in no time! Wherever you’re stranded, Union City, Atlanta, Kennesaw, Fairburn, or Sandy Springs, we here at Thornton Road CDJR are happy to help!